Comfort under a desk

It was October 2015. Each day felt like being in the eye of the storm. Court dates, witness stands, CPS visits, therapy, mummy duty, work, attorney calls/emails...work. Every aspect of my life allowed a true expression of the devastating emotions I was feeling...every aspect except work. At work I had to look like I had it all together, but what I actually felt was shame. Soon I got too ashamed to sit at my open cube. I felt like 'abused' and 'unwanted' sat glaringly on my forehead. With some luck, I found an empty office on an isolated floor. The ghostly floor gave me comfort but I still felt like a criminal at the gallows...like a phony. I had fooled the world with my dainty appearances - a far contrast to the 99 cents I felt my spouse had auctioned me off for.
There had to be somewhere else to hide. To hide the shame I felt from the spousal abuse, rejection, the unremorseful post abuse encounters.  The empty/isolated floor was not enough.  In sheer exasperation, my shame crawled under the office desk...my body followed soon after.  Sigh...relief...I finally felt covered. Protected from what I felt were glaring, judging eyes, the loud voices from the quiet walls. There I worked uninterrupted as I had a deadline to meet. Shame's urges had been quenched momentarily...there...under the embrace of an office desk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The wound is the place where the light enters you

2022 - year of self care

A typical day with my beloved